Click Here

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I'm going to whine now, because I miss English and my stomach's constricting just thinking about it.

At the beginning of the year, I lined up all my subjects (approved by the head) and felt gaps everywhere. Only five subjects?

I picked according to teachers and the wishes of others I vaguely felt. My parents told me to take English, I think, but I thought teachers knew best. I took German on loyalty to the teacher I no longer have. I took maths because I could. I took physics on loyalty to another teacher I no longer have. I took chemistry because I had to, to keep the door open for science. (I know that's four. I chose maths twice).

English was gone, because my last teacher was crap and I'm weak. I felt the pangs in the first few weeks, and ignored it because I thought it would pass. I'm still feeling it now, worse than ever.

Education, education, education... That's only three things. I want to study the world! Let me out of the system, please. I want to study Milton next to particle physics. To be still pondering the astoundingly numerous uses of trigonometry while learning about Edward Hopper's contribution to American art. To debate chemical laws and follow it with socio-political thought.

A little learning may well be a very dangerous thing, but hardly as damaging as a lotlotlot of learning about one thing only...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?