Click Here

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Oh it's Christmas time, has been for months. Everything's glammed up in a way that says 'buy', and still the days are still zipping.

Everything in this temporary house smells, so I perfume it by eating digestives. I'm avoiding any work again, and hope the weekend has some semblance of vacation about it. It should. With any luck Daphney's father's returned, and I'll be able to bring her over to help us work in the new house. She's so peaceful with a purpose. A serenity plays her brows into concentration and she smiles to herself.

I dreamt I woke up next to her and saw it was 6 07. Two hours before we had to get up, and a sur-perfect morning waited.
Until my friend walked in with a basketball, but that's just dreams I guess.

Anyway. Chemistry assessment was depressing, and physics felt lighter than usual. I think it was the breeze and the fact the teacher actually had a lesson plan.

I want to teach when I'm older (I think). In America (pipe-dream). First lesson would be an introduction: a chance to get used to my bizarre English accent. I'm sure I would be lame and try and be 'down with the kids' (or the equivalent future passé expression).

Anyway, it's exciting to have a (partial) purpose. It's something to build on.

At the lunch-club today (for the kids), it was so cute. There's one kid who looks like a riverboat dealer, with an exquisite memory and a will to win at cards. There's another who's so cute he should be packaged up and sold as a (bouncing) happy pill. And a few who mischievously ask my friend for a date; who call me 'a big hard man'.

Next week I'm baking them holiday cookies (all non-religious. If I can resist the lure of icing a Christmas tree on). Now I'm off to walk my doggly... I wonder what to get her for Christmas actually...

Comments:
My advice is to get your woofter a minimum of 2 presents. One must be edible, and this is the one that's really for the dog. It will last 5 seconds, but the dog will give you one of those looks of undying faithfulness and love. The other must be silly, and this is the one that's really for you (e.g. doggy reindeer antlers, doggy scarf, doggy t-shirt, doggy bootees, posh doggy bed, etc, etc.). The dog will put up with looking stupid while you all laugh and "aww" at her because she thinks she may get something else to eat. In my experience as long as one present is entirely edible your dog will not be disappointed. Plus, as a bonus she gets to snuffle through scrunched up wrapping paper looking for crumbs. We have a labrador bitch who is now almost 16 - a bit wobbly and stiff but can still eat for England (obviously, she's a labrador). We lavished her with pressies one year as she was looking ropey and we thought it would be her last winter - that was three Christmases ago and counting...

OAO
 
Awww... That's a great idea :).

Postman's leg for the edible one... For the silly one? If I can find some novelty boxers they'll be on the list.
 
Postman's leg has the benefit of being quite substantial, however you might find it a bit awkward to wrap...

OAO
 
..and another thing. Why would you put novelty boxers on your dog?! Novelty collar, ok. Novelty dog slippers, perhaps. But boxers? Especially as she's a bitch! :o)

OAO
 
Boxers because then you get the tail poking cutely out the flies... And because her confused face is classic :)
 
Ah, gotcha. Yes, I agree - dogs "wearing" anything meant for humans is very amusing. I love the way the dog wags its tail as if to say "I don't know why you are all laughing, but I'll assume it's because you love me and therefore I'm happy".

Although I hate to say it, one of the funniest things in the world** is putting a bath towel over a dog and watching the ensuing chaos. Sad, but true! And as long as the dog gets a cuddle afterwards I'm sure it's not too psychologically disturbing.






** Disclaimer. Clichéd over-exaggeration. Treat with caution.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?