Click Here

Thursday, December 02, 2004

I re-read Northern Lights over the last few nights. It's beautiful.

There are some things I like a ton and some I stop at and think about. Some passages make my heart flutter like there's a bat in my ribcage, and some leave me thinking he's tried too hard. And some where he gets lazy.

Spoilers ahead though... Highlight to read.

Something I've looked at again and again is: 'Farder Coram's smile was a hesitant, rich, complicated expression that trembled across his face like sunlight chasing shadows on a windy march day'.
This sentence is a dream. The form is so perfect. Slowslowslowfastacceleratespeedslower. When you're reading chasing you're at terminal velocity, and then a slow come-down. And the words flicker in and out of my mind during the daytime. Something beautiful to carry with me.

One poor sleepy sentence is 'the silky feeling of moonlight on our skin'. Said by a mysterious, beautiful and ephemeral witch, who was obviously feeling a bit lazy with her language.

And emotional pieces? Well, there are plenty.

Morals? Everything has its nature. Everything is best true to its nature. Daemons would make life more fun. The church is bad. Experience is good.

Anyway, I'll try and expand on some of my own laziness later. Off for maths and more reading.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?