Click Here

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Sometimes stuff falls into place.

Tonight, I was scheduled to sit at my council's cabinet meeting. The time came, and my colleague hadn't yet turned up, so I sat and delivered a hesitating, stuttering talk with her notes. Halfway through she arrived, looking bedraggled and powerless. Not the entrance the control-queen would like to have made. Indeed as we had tried to contact her beforehand, I had imagined her smug grin at our futility, as the phone massaged her handbag. Maybe she'll respect me now, having seen me decline the (luminescently apparent) opportunity to verbally slaughter her. Or maybe I'll still be an underling to her.
Whatever.

I have a party Friday as well, and seeing as I never go to parties (or really get invited) it's almost a 'thing'. What was more of a thing was the fact that suits were required.
The boy goes to a school where the regulation is suit, and where I would need special permission to go on account of my (not short) hair.
A place where the head boy probably has £3000 worth of Armani in his cupboard, and underachievers are not allowed to take exams in case they bring the school down.
Anyway. So I was frantic, looking for something to pass off as a suit. I asked him, eventually. He took me up to his room and pushed a perfect outfit into my hand.

It's hard to remember sometimes that people are so decent. The grace with which he treated me made me feel so welcome. The way he acted me made me fall in love with kindness, all over again. A reminder of a beauty I could never really forget anyway.
Sure, he's rich and handsome. But manners aren't something you buy. Just enjoy love, however you feel it.

Comments:
Well said, sir. Manners cost nothing, and are therefore equally accessible to rich and poor. They aren't intellectually demanding, and are therefore equally accessible to the well- and ill-educated. Personally, I respect well-mannered people over those who exhibit almost any other trait. And in the bracket of "manners" I place respect.

People who are big enough to operate on the "I don't agree with your view but I respect you for having one" principle ring my bell every time.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?