Click Here

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Let's see what I can write in eight minutes.

I love Hendrix. I love becoming familiar with his music, so it feels known despite the strangeness and intuition in is his playing. Althought I don't get it all, it feels like I can work on it. I don't know, for instance, why "Electric Ladyland" begins with what sounds like a wind tunnel.

Oh, and now I have some of his albums, I can't listen to the greatest hits compilation anymore. In fact, I'd say that this is the worst greatest hits. Ever. All it is is a platform to his other work, which is admittedly not a bad thing. But it's not him.

Every song ends in under 5 minutes (and 34 seconds). And for someone who can make a song last 15 minutes without boring you or apologising, this is a travesty. It's like having enough wealth for anything: where's the fun in that? You need his foreplay. Rapture is amazingly unenthralling if it's unremitting.

If I make it sound like there's a few good tracks split up by a muddle of improv, then I'm wrong. There's a few shorter pieces that rip everything up by being contrasted with the epic, twisted lessons in art. It's necessary to have the longer, more involved, trip songs. If I'm not brought to the right place, how can I enjoy the four-minute piece like I'm meant to?

His albums should be a journey, and I'd rather not be such a tourist.

Comments:
Bravo.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?