Click Here

Friday, November 19, 2004

I'm a gamer, by the way.
For a few years of my life I was obsessed. As much money as I had went on them, and I (naturally) suffer the occasional relapse.

So yeah, I own Halo 2. And because I'm sure you don't really want to hear a whine about it, I'll sum it up in a few words: sucky, and disappointing.

Some games are amazing though. The first time I ever played Halo, in a crowded club-hall Microsoft had rented out, was love. No tutorial, no instructions. Me sitting there on level two, with the whole world for me to experiment and play with and explore.

The feeling of jumping into the warthog with my friend beside me was neon. Both of us in this digital space, like children in a ball-pit. Seeing what physics did to everything, and then playing some more.
In Halo 2 it's gone.

In Halo I can remember the feeling of finally running that gauntlet on legendary difficulty. The euphoria of squeezing off a pixel-perfect head shot across 1000 metres. The rush of discovering yet another place we weren't 'meant' to be. One more shortcut. One more Easter-egg. Halo was a labour of love from them.

Halo 2's a duty.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?